Sunday, July 21, 2013

No Sew Art Apron

I originally found this project on Pinterest while searching for cute projects for my summer art program. bystephanielynn.com has a great tutorial on how to make this super easy, super fun apron for kids. Here is the link to her page: http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2012/12/how-to-make-a-no-sew-kitchen-towel-apron-a-simple-baking-crafting-apron-for-kids.html

I decided this apron would be awesome for the kiddos in my summer art program for when we do those messy projects.

Here is what you need:
  • Stitch Witchery
  • scissors
  • kitchen towel (15"x25" is what I used)
  • clothesline cord
  • steam iron
  • damp cloth
  • measuring tool
  • fabric paint or markers (optional)






Here's what to do:

Step 1: Cut about 90" of clothesline cord. This is enough to wrap around the child and tie in front. I also taped the ends of the cord so it doesn't fray and it's easier to thread threw the hole incase it comes out.

Step 2
Step 2: Fold the top two corners to create the neckline. I eyeballed it but it measures 5" from
the top and side. I then ironed it to create a crease.












Step 3: Place the cord before you use the Stitch Witchery so you don't have to thread it in place after. Just saves time and hassle. Cut an eight inch piece of stitch witchery for each side (or 2 - 4" pieces).
Place the Stitch Witchery about an inch from the side and top leaving the space for the cord without any Stitch Witchery.
 
 
 



Step 4:  Follow the package instructions and iron neckline. You will need a damp cloth and your steam iron set to Wool if you're using Stitch Witchery.

Step 5: Create the pocket(s). I placed the apron on my daughter to see how long it was and then folded the bottom half up to create the pockets on her apron. (Anywhere from 5" - 8" for the pocket will leave the apron a good length for your little helper.) All you have to do is put some more Stitch Witchery along the sides, and more in the middle if you want more then one big pocket, fold and iron just like with the neckline.





Step 6 optional: Decorate with fabric paint or markers. I'm going to be making more of these and using the sharpie marker and rubbing alcohol to create a tie-dye effect. Or maybe the sandpaper and crayon resist method. So many options!
 
I took those pictures before the fabric paint was dry but there is plenty of cord to wrap around and tie in the front. The neckline is adjustable so it can be pulled up more to cover more of your child. Just pull on the cords. Happy creating!
 
 
***UPDATE***
I suggest hand stitching where the tape is. The tape won't hold up in numerous washes. I'm also experimenting with the liquid stitch to see if it holds better. :)
 
Happy Creating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment