Saturday, February 23, 2013

365 Days To Be Creative

Recently my husband and I went out for lunch. He had some time to kill before he had to leave for work so I suggested we go next door to Barnes & Noble to look around. We both looked at each other and asked... ok, so what do you want to look for?

First thing to catch my eye were books that our oldest son would like, but my husband reminded me that he has a kindle so why buy him a book. Then, since we were still at the front of the store I suggested we look at the craft section. I wanted to find a book that had multiple craft ideas but I kept finding books that were for one medium, like knitting or origami. For a split second I thought I should write a book compiling things that I would want to find in a book... that quickly passed, as I thought, what do I know about writing a book? I mean I don't even have any followers for this blog. Finally my eyes gazed upon a book called 365 A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life! By:Noah Scalin. I picked it up and opened it.

It still never seizes to amaze me how such a small thing can get my mind thinking of numerous ideas. I thought of many ways to use this book, from using it myself, to daily sketchbook ideas, to creating a whole class around the concept of this book.

Just to give you an idea of what this book is about, it starts off suggesting you pick a subject matter or medium to use for the entire 365 days of this journey. It also suggests documenting your work, sharing your work and moving the finish line. This book really has no rules but suggest being creative and creating something everyday for a whole year, and as the title claims, it will change your life!

So, while I do plan on using this book in the many ways I thought of when first opening it in the bookstore, I decided to think about either a subject or a medium to use on my journey. While choosing a subject matter could lead to many more creative project outcomes, I've decided to choose a medium. I want to use clay and become a master both hand building and on the potters wheel. (It also gives me an excuse to use the wheel I bought years back and used only a handful of times.)

*My mind is going crazy again... what if I get bored with the clay... maybe a subject matter would be a better choice... I love my kids, maybe they should be my subject matter? I need to make up my mind ... matter or medium??? Err I hate the self-doubt I give myself. End Tangent. ;)

No matter what I decide if I change my mind it's ok. I think I'll try to remember to focus my daily projects around teaching art to whoever wants to learn. So go out and grab the book and let us take this journey together!




Day 1: The first step is the hardest, so start small today and make something that fits in the palm of your hand using only materials in your immediate environment.

I've always wanted to make a clay whistle so that's going to be my DAY 1 project. Good luck with yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment